In addition to advising clients on legal HR issues, Workplace Legal also counsels clients on strategic HR issues. Strategic HR management is the creation, implementation, measurement, and continuous refinement of people management systems that are carefully aligned with the long-term business goals of the company. In other words, it is purposeful HR – not HR as an afterthought or no thought at all – that is strategically developed and deployed to achieve competitive advantage for the company.
Strategic HR management includes such things as: analyzing the company’s mission, vision, and competitive landscape; developing and communicating the company’s business strategy; identifying HR systems and tools that serve that business strategy; and continuously comparing the company’s current HR landscape with the company’s future business and strategic needs.
Workplace Legal has assisted clients on a broad range of strategic HR projects, including:
- Establishing and documenting HR policies and procedures;
- Establishing and drafting accurate – and strategically smart – job descriptions;
- Drafting employee handbooks and personnel policy manuals;
- Designing flexible work arrangements, including alternative workweek policies;
- Designing performance evaluation systems;
- Counseling on paid time off (PTO), vacation pay, sick leave, and similar policies/plans;
- Designing competitive pay and benefits packages, including performance-based pay systems;
- Designing aligned incentive compensation (bonus) and commission plans;
- Succession planning, including identifying and developing new company leaders;
- HR training and development seminars and programs; and
- Conducting HR compliance audits.