In addition to advising clients on legal HR and employment issues, Workplace Legal also counsels clients on strategic HR and employment issues.
HR Law vs. HR Strategy
Strategic HR management is the creation, implementation, measurement, and continuous refinement of a people management system that is carefully aligned with the long-term business goals of the company. In other words, it is purposeful HR – not HR as an afterthought or no thought at all – that is strategically developed and deployed to achieve competitive advantage for the company.
Strategic HR management includes such things as: analyzing the company’s mission, vision, and competitive landscape; developing and communicating the company’s business strategy; identifying and deploying HR systems and tools that serve that business strategy; continuously assessing those deployed HR systems and tools to assure continuing alignment with the company’s business strategy; and re-tooling those HR systems and tools and/or creating new ones to align with any future changes to the company’s business strategy.
Our HR Strategy Experience
Workplace Legal has assisted clients on a broad range of strategic HR projects, including:
- Creating custom HR infrastructures, including core handbooks and policies
- Counseling on employee compensation philosophies and strategies
- Counseling on employee benefits offerings
- Designing competitive pay and benefits packages that are aligned with the business’ strategy and values
- Drafting accurate – and strategically smart – job descriptions
- Designing custom paid time off (PTO) plans
- Designing flexible work arrangements, including alternative workweek policies
- Conducting sexual harassment and other employee and management training seminars and programs
- Designing employee performance evaluation systems
- Conducting HR compliance audits
- Counseling on incentive compensation, bonus, and/or commission plan options
- Designing competitive incentive compensation, bonus, and/or commission plans that are aligned with the business’ strategy and values
- Succession planning, including identifying, developing, and rewarding new company leaders
In short, Workplace Legal offers the full spectrum of HR and employment services. Of course we can help you with your HR and employment law legal needs – how to be and stay compliant, how to respond properly to employee requests and situations, and how to deal with employee disputes. But what separates Workplace Legal from other employment law firms is that we also understand HR and employment law strategy. And that understanding – our awareness of HR as both a legal and strategic component of your business – allows us to give smarter, more practical, and more strategic HR and employment advice to all of our clients on all of their matters.