California has some of the most unusual and unique employment laws in the nation. Even honest, well-intentioned employers in California make mistakes. And those mistakes can be devastatingly expensive. Workplace Legal can help you avoid those costly mistakes. Call us before you make any important HR or employment decisions and before you address any important employee question or request. Let us guide you through it so you stay compliant with every step and don’t make an innocent – and expensive – mistake.
Workplace Legal provides day-to-day advice to clients on almost every HR and employment law issue imaginable – always in an effort to prevent legal problems before they arise. In addition, as part of our advice and counseling function, Workplace Legal drafts critical employment documents, agreements, and policies. Our experience includes:
- Establishing and managing an effective HR infrastructure, including drafting employee handbooks, sexual harassment policies, confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements, and other core policies and agreements;
- Creating compliant payroll policies and procedures;
- Determining whether a particular worker can properly qualify as an “independent contractor”;
- Analyzing whether a particular worker qualifies as “exempt” from overtime;
- Drafting compliant offer letters, employment contracts, and independent contractor agreements;
- Advising on the pros and cons of mandatory employee arbitration for a specific employer in a specific industry and drafting employee arbitration agreements;
- Counseling on employee performance issues, including creating effective, defensible performance improvement plans;
- Advising on employee disability issues, including guiding clients through the “interactive process” and analyzing “reasonable accommodation” options;
- Creating employee performance evaluations systems and counseling clients on specific employee evaluation issues;
- Advising on pregnancy, disability, sick leave, family leave, domestic violence, and other leave of absence and return-to-work situations;
- Creating bonus systems that properly incentivize, measure, and reward desired performance, including drafting bonus plan agreements;
- Counseling on employee benefits issues, including advising on industry-appropriate employee benefits offerings;
- Establishing and maintaining compliant employee files, including official personnel, payroll, leave of absence, and other files and documents;
- Advising on workplace privacy issues, including criminal records, credit reports, workplace surveillance, social media issues, computer searches, medical records, and off-duty conduct issues;
- Implementing lawful employee background checks, reference checks, and drug testing policies;
- Counseling on reorganizations, layoffs, and reductions-in-force (RIFs);
- Advising on difficult or sensitive terminations, including drafting separation/severance agreements; and
Conducting HR audits to ensure compliance across all HR and employment systems, policies, and procedures.
With California leading in the country in adopting new, often cutting-edge employment and HR laws, we stay informed. We continually monitor legislative and regulatory developments. We keep our clients up-to-date on the legal and regulatory developments that impact their businesses through frequent blog postings, targeted client updates and bulletins, and customized education and training programs. If you need guidance on any HR or employment law issue, contact us. Chances are we’ve guided a client – and probably many clients — through the same issue before.
When a client contacts us, we respond promptly – usually within a couple hours and always by the end of the day. We know you are working hard and you need clear, concise answers quickly. We get it. So we make a commitment to clients to be reachable day in and day out, on evenings and on weekends, because we know that HR problems can arise at any time. Our goal is to be accessible and to always give you clear, concise guidance that considers your business objectives and your real-world situation. We help you accurately assess and minimize your risk so you can make a decision and get back to work.